Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Toothbrushes and Fingernail Clippers






Yesterday I, once again, realized everything we take for granted. First I noticed this with my kids, then I noticed it again in the conversations I had last night. This past weekend, one of my friends gave me kids toothbrushes, so we can start brushing the kids teeth while they are at the daycare. Cool, I thought! Then yesterday, I had the opportunity to do it with them. After spending sometime with my nieces, I figured this could be a very difficult process getting the kids to cooperate and actually brush their teeth. Since the day I brought the toothbrushes in (Monday), till we first used they yesterday, the kids pestered me about when we are going to brush our teeth. So yesterday, after they were labeled, I took them outside one at a time to brush their teeth. To each one, I would say, “I’m going to do it first, then you are going to do it,” because I want them to reach all the teeth and learn to do it themselves. As I did it, I would ask them what color their toothbrush was and if they had one of these at their house. To my surprise, its not wonder they were so excited and obedient, 13 out of 15 have never had a toothbrush or brushed their teeth before. Obviously looking at their rotten teeth, you can see they haven’t, but hearing it from them and seeing their excitement was eye opening to me.

We also took the time yesterday to cut fingernails and toenails. It was sad to see how long the toenails were, some of them growing into the skin. Then I got to wash their feet. It was a fun processfor each of them to let me wash their feet. I would cut their nails, then carry them outside, wash their feet and carry them back in. They loved it. Another thing we take for granted from when we are born. Our parents usually take care of us, teach us to brush out teeth, wash our hands, and cut our nails for us. Its engrained in us.

Another addition to the routine of teeth brushing and hand washing is taking vitamins. We have had them, but they weren’t being used. I know hygiene is not a high priority of some of these mothers, working to feed their families. It’s a neat experience to be able to provide this for them.

The other conversation we had was with a friend, on the way home from Casa de Luz was about what the United States is like. The conversation started with why so many North Americans come down to Honduras. When we explained, that the reality is that very few come down, he asked why? This is when we started describing the luxuries of everyday America. The first is hot water. There are 2 temperatures with every faucet. Every shower has hot water, with few exceptions. His response was “Like a ducha?” I am posting the picture of a ducha. It plugs into the wall and heats water as you take a shower. The people I work with, this kid included, only have cold water faucets. I fortunately have a ducha, but it’s not the same as having hot water from pipes.If the water pressure is too strong, the water does not have time to warm up. If the water pressure is too weak, it will burn you. Something we take for granted in the States. This is something indescribable to a large percentage of people here. The other luxury is that we throw our toilet paper in the toilet. Here, if you did that, you would clog your toilet. We talked about other things to, and with every new topic Iwas more aware of what we take for granted living in the States.

After all this, Aben and I were discussing the churches in the poor communities. They have church almost every night of the week. Why? Because they do not have the money to go out and do other things. Why would you not spend all your time in the presence of God at church? We take this for granted to. Church can only last a certain amount of time because we have other things to do. If we took the love of money out of the picture, what better thing would we have to do than be at church, in community? Since we have money, we arrange time to spend it. If we don’t have it, we don’t have to waste our times arranging how to spend it. It made me think of the verse in Matthew, “Blessed are the poor in Spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Their lives reflect dependence on God, so of course they are going to grow closer to Him.

Tonight we had a time to Skype with a group of kids from a church in Miami. We sang songs for them, and they sang some for us. Then some of the kids talked. I wish I could describe the atmosphere. Knowing both cultures, it was funny blending the two together. I could picture the group in Miami, sitting and waiting and being in their seats most of the time. On our end, pure chaos from a North American’s perspective; kids running in the streets, trying to round them up to come inside, babies screaming, one kid with a stick poking people. An experience you can’t witness from Skype. But it was fun for me to see the kids outside of the day care. I’m glad I had the opportunity to go because many time I don’t have the opportunity to spend time with the mothers or talk with them. Tonight gave me the opportunity to talk to a few of them more and play with the kids while the mothers were around. I loved the opportunity.

Things are getting busy this week and teams start coming! The spring break season thru summer brings lots of different teams, not all for me, but with all the connections, there is always bound to be a team here. Pray for protection and safety as teams come and go. Also pray for the relationships I am trying to build with the mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment