Thursday, September 16, 2010

I have ARRIVED!!!

I have arrived. I have been in Honduras a week now and have been in the process of settling. I have had time to see old friends and meet new ones. I am staying with a friend while I search for an apartment and find transportation.

I met with the director of the preschool and we talked about plans and ideas. It made me excited to get started. Of course, I need to find a place to live before that happens, so I'm praying it will happen this week. Our tentative plan was for me to begin on Monday.

The Saturday after I arrived, we celebrated Children's Day (yes, they have a holiday like Mother's Day and Father's Day for the children). I had the opportunity to visit a ministry in a neighborhood similar to the one I will be working in. It is a larger community built into the mountains. I will try to post pictures as soon as I move in and find the cords to the camera. There were about 100 kids, we sang songs, ate, gave candy, and of course... piñatas!

I had the opportunity to attend the Independence Day parade on one of the main streets yesterday. As my new friend described it, it was a 'cultural experience.' I loved being back and the pride and community of this country. It was super HOT and sunny for most of the parade, we worked our way into the National Stadium with much pushing and congestion. Another experience everyone should have once.

Its still rainy season, so its really hot all morning, then it usually rains all afternoon or evening. Someone sent me an email that western Honduras has had 287% of the average rainfall this rainy season, with 6 weeks to go in the season. The roads are not so good, especially the dirt roads up in the hills and mountains.

Thank you again, everyone who has helped support me in this ministry and journey. I'm blessed to be here with your prayers and support!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment